Growing up I never realized the significance of the lottery. My dad would only buy tickets when the jackpot was ridiculously high. He always had a smile in his face after the purchase and you would think that he was already the winner. Today as I was buying a lottery ticket and I realized that he was indeed the winner of of something even more special than the jackpot.
You see, I was one of those people who said I was not going to become like my dad. I was going to dress different, act different and do things different than him. As I got into adulthood I discovered that I had more things in common with him than I ever knew. For example, this morning I bought a lottery ticket because the jackpot amount was incredibly high.
Buying that ticket made me wonder why me, a rational, educated and not-like-my-dad adult would spend his hard earned money on the lottery. And then it hit me: A lottery ticket is just a chance to dream. Just like my dad, I was dreaming of the possibilities.
I know that the odds of winning the lottery do not change when the prize is higher. I also know that just like my dad, I will never win the jackpot. However, what I bought this morning with a lottery ticket was the sensation of dreams realized. The ticket allowed me to think, what if? This is the same feeling that my dad experienced when he purchased a ticket and I have to say that I am becoming just like him.
Right after buying the ticket I started thinking about how many people I could help, the places I could travel to, the kind of house I would buy and all the things I would do with the big prize. This was the real purchase I had made, dreams and hopes for a better future.
Now I understood why my dad will smile after purchasing his lottery ticket. He was also dreaming about a better future and a $1 lottery ticket is a great bargain for what you truly get.
No comments:
Post a Comment